January 17, 2013

Day 16 - Introducing a Little More Substance

Started the day with a Goji Berry Smoothie (from Joe Cross)  love this so much - as you've probably guessed by the amount of times that I have made it.   I find that I do not actually need much more during the day as the Chia Seeds really make it filling (I imagine them expanding in my stomach and filling it up)  Try putting some in a glass of water and leave them for a while and see how they expand.

Lunch I had a green juice smoothie with pears/apples/celery - nice and refreshing over ice.

As I was browsing the internet today I came across some really good vegetarian blogs - I have thought about going vegetarian for a while now, I don't eat alot of meat anyway.  But I came across this recipe from "The Fig Tree" for a Curried Quinoa Mango Salad - it sounds and looks so good that I went and bought the ingredients.  I already had the Quinoa in the cupboard (not really knowing what to do with it)  Not sure how my husband is going to like this - but we will see.  I have bought him some Salmon just in case he baulks at the idea of eating vegetarian.

I have seen recipes with Quinoa in them but did not really know anything about it or how to prepare it. So nows my chance to give it a go.

This is what it looks like before you cook it:







I purchased it from a local health food store - but I have also seen it at the  Woolworths Supermarkets.

This is what is written on the back of the packet:

Quinoa pronounced Keen wah is an ancient food that is not yet well known in Australia.  The ancient Incas called quinoa the "mother grain" and revered it as sacred.

The quinoa grain is high in protein, calcium and iron, a relatively good source of the B vitamins. It contains an almost perfect balance of all 8 essential amino acids needed for tissue development in humans.  The protein in quinoa is considered to be a complete protein due to the presence of all 8 essential amino acids.  Quinoa also contains albumen, a protein that is found in egg whites, blood serum and many plant and animal tissues.  Quinoa grain is gluten free which makes this a nutritious and flavourful alternative grain for those with gluten sensitivity.  Quinoa would be a worthy addition to anyones diet, supplying  variety as well as good nutrition.

So the verdict: well it tastes good - this is on its own.  Here it is cooked.


It has a nutty taste and texture to it - but as I put together this recipe - it tastes even better.

And here is the finished dish - tastes amazing.....



No comments:

Post a Comment